Question box on posts
September 17

Copyright © 2020
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
BoltWire

Member Subscriptions

Posted 11/28/20 by Kasey Norton

I know on FAST we have the ability to manage subscriptions and I'm assuming we can offer it on our sites, too. Is this already enabled? Right now I just have a page with all the links to the various groups I have on Mailerlite but it seems this isn's a very tidy way to do it. If there's not another option available right now it's TOTALLY fine, I promise!!!

Comments

Posted by Dan Vis on 08/25/20
You did great Kasey. I think you are right that you should keep it off the welcome page. However, you set the neo skin for the whole welcome page hierarchy, not just the welcome page! That's why it's affecting welcome.training. Consider these two settings:

welcome*: neo
welcome: neo

The asterisk means all the pages in that hierarchy, the second line only the welcome page itself. So if you go back to site.auth.skins and remove the asterisk, the welcome.training page will show the side menu.

As for needing a side bar there, maybe. My logged in members never see the welcome page. I have a line that says

[if login]<(forward members)>[if]

So only guests see the welcome page (which is a big splash page), and if they are members and automatically logged in they are forwarded to my news page. Try going to FAST logging out, then clicking the FAST Missions at the top. You'll see my splash page.

My initial thoughts are members are not going to want to see the same ABOUT US (biography) page every time they come to your site. It's important, but if I'm coming back every week, I want to see what's new...

So just get rid of the asterisk on the site.auth.skins page and you'll be good to go, but definitely think through the user experience. It should be different for first time visitors (whole goal, get them to create an account) and returning members (show whats new and give easy navigation to key parts of site).
Posted by Kasey Norton on 08/25/20
Dan I did notice that it doesn't seem to show on the welcome.training page.
Dan Okay, I went to site.auth.skins and made that edit. The only page I did the override on was the welcome because of the tabs across the top. But maybe that's the most important page to have it on? I may have to rethink that but if I leave I need to completely redesign that portion because it throws the layout off. The other pages it squeezes the content to the left a bit but I don't think it looks bad. If you see something I should be aware of that I'm missing, feel free to let me know.
Dan Thank you! I'll check it out!
I've just been debugging the subscriber plugin and related accelerator site pages and it all seems to be working correctly right now. And Kasey, I've set up your account.subscribe page. You might want to edit the list description.

Feel free to add different lists to info.subscriber and account.subscribe as desired.
Sounds good!
Okay, I'll give it a try! Thank you!
Basically Kasey, the menu is there, it's just not being shown in your default skin.
Sure, you basically have to use neo-side for your default skin rather than the neo skin.

Try this. Go to site.auth.skins. Here you can see which skins are shown to which page hierarchies. Change the first line to this:

*: neo-side

Then, let's say you didn't want a side menu on your offer pages. Add this line:

offer*: neo

Basically that line would override the default skin when you are viewing a page that begins with offer.
Dan I'm all for adding a site menu. How do I do it?
I don't think I have that quite enabled yet Kasey but it's definitely coming very soon. One of the last little details. Easy task.

You'll see the page for it SITE > SUBSCRIBER > UPDATE. And members use ACCOUNT > SUBSCRIBE. Not fully working, but they'll be there. Probably in the next few hours. ;)

By the way, you don't have a side menu area for members to access the account area, so you might want to think about adding it, or finding another place to link to it. Also, I noticed members see your action bar when logged in, though it's an admin bar at present. So I've fixed that on both your skins. We could customize that to provide a separate menu for members that includes an Account link. But I personally think on a full-featured membership site, a site menu is pretty important.

Join Us

To read more posts, or to leave a comment, join our FREE community...

JOIN NOW