Setting up card options
September 7

Copyright © 2020
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
BoltWire

Activating Domain Name

Posted 09/18/20 by Dan Vis

THIS POST HAS BEEN UPDATED WITH NEW DIRECTIONS. CLICK HERE TO SEE THE NEW POST.

Basically, domain names are short cuts to ip addresses, where your website is actually located. So when you type in a domain name, your computer uses that name to look up the ip address and forwards you to the correct location invisibly. To start using your domain name, you simply have to tell your registrar where you site is.

Here's the basic steps for directnic.com which is what I use. Your registrar might follow slightly different steps.

1) Login to directnic.com or your registrar.
2) Click the dashboard tab and look for a link that says manage domains.
3) Select your domain from the list.
4) Click the DNS button (domain name servers).
5) You should start out on the A Record section (there are other options). Look for a button to "Create a Record"
6) You will need to create two records.

1st record: Leave name blank and add 23.91.68.109 to the IPv4 address. Set preference to 0. Leave unchecked the dynamic dns checkbox.
2nd record: Exactly the same except set name to "*".

Basically, if my domain is boltwire, the first setting allows me to use boltwire.com for a valid url. The second allows me to use any prefix I want like www.boltwire.com, web.boltwire.com, whatever.boltwire.com, etc.

Now once that is done, you will just need to wait--up to 24 hours for the changes to go into effect. That's because domain name serverse (DNS) all over the world have to be updated and that just takes time.

If you are changing from an old website to a new site, this means during that time different people will go to either your old or new site, based on their location--and you have no control over that.

Now once you have this done, I need to make a change on my server as well, so the domain goes to the right subdirectory. Basically, I'll be setting it up as an "add on domain", so my hosting provider knows where on my server to send people coming to visit your site. So just send me a quick email with your exact domain name and I'll get that done for you--so once the DNS servers get updated everything will be ready and waiting. Tomorrow, you should be able to start using your domain to get to your site!

Note: if you are using an existing website, you may not want to change the DNS servers until your new site is ready, as people will no longer be able to access your existing site.

Comments

Posted by Dan Vis on 08/11/20
Ok Berith, I have things set up on my end for the .info domain. It doesn't look like it's working yet though--so I'm not sure what's happening. It should be pointing either to your site or to mine--but not inbetween.

When you talk with directnic, make sure they point it to the ip adress above. You can actually point them to this forum page (the url) and they can check you have it set up right. Use their chat support...
Posted by Berith Bermejo on 08/11/20
You were right, Dan , although I did open a ticket asking Directnic about it. That was more than 24 hours ago, so I think that was updated already.
Posted by Dan Vis on 08/09/20
Let me know how it goes Berith! Once the setting finally take effect you should be able to use your domain to access your site. I'll get the settings for your domain fixed up on my end.
Posted by Berith Bermejo on 08/09/20
Thanks, Dan. I think I will copy those settings down as you advised.
Posted by Dan Vis on 08/09/20
Berith, I'm pretty sure those are the default settings from directnic--pointing to their servers. You can double check with the support there, but I think you should delete them. Make sure you are on the "A Record" tab, and just to be safe, it wouldn't hurt to jot down the settings--in case you have to put them back. I'm not an expert on this stuff unfortunately!

The problem is, you won't see if you've got it fixed right for up to 24 hours. So you have to be patient. You can speed this up some by changing the "DNS Time To Live Value" to a lower value, like 600 or something (10 minutes). I think that's just how long it takes to "start" the update process. It still takes awhile for the update to spread through the internet...
Posted by Berith Bermejo on 08/08/20
There are 4 other records on the domain name before I created the 2 new ones as above. Should I just leave those there, or do I have to delete those before updating?
Posted by Dan Vis on 08/03/20
Oh, one other thing--it looks like you can have the same domain point to two different servers. For example, by changing the "name" field in one of your A records to "academy" and providing a different ip address, I could have the www.boltwire.com go to one location and academy.boltwire.com go to a separate location...
Posted by Dan Vis on 08/03/20
Let me know if you have any questions!

Join Us

To read more posts, or to leave a comment, join our FREE community...

JOIN NOW