Like all software, BoltWire needs periodic updates. We are committed to providing security patches, bug fixes, and feature enhancements as needed. Plus, we are continually looking for ways to make our software even smarter. We log completed changes coming out in the next release on this page.
Our current focus is transitioning to version 7.0 through several significant upgrades designed to get ready for our Unleashed service. BoltWire 6.01 is mature and running smooth. To report a bug or request a feature, use our Support Area.
CHANGES IN THE NEXT RELEASE
The next release should be considered a beta for BoltWire 7.x. I have several significant changes I want to make, and I'm tackling them a few things at a time to help ensure a smoother transition. This release should be safe, but it's less about new features, and more about preparing for the next few releases. That is, upgrade with care.
- Changed the default home page from main to welcome. If you are using the default main page, you will need to set homePage: main and/or homeMobile: main in site.config. Important!
- Set up a special routine to dynamically load custom functions, commands, and conditions. Add an entry like BOLTFoptimize: optimize.php to site.dynafunc and the plugin will load automatically when needed--assuming optimize.php is in your config folder or shared plugins folder. This has the advantage of only loading rarely used scripts when they are needed. Works great!
- Purged the $BOLTzone parameter from all the functions still using it, and updated all the system scripts. Will not affect markup, but if you are calling BOLTFinfo, BOLTFsearch, BOLTFquery, or BOLTFgeturl in a plugin with two or more parameters, you will need to delete the second parameter. I also deleted the final $data parameter (#4) in the BOLTFinfo function as it seems to serve no purpose in any script I could find. Note: These changes could affect existing plugins if you use them. I created a scriptmanager plugin that allows me to instantly scan all my scripts for where functions like this are used in plugins. Very useful for tracking down stuff like above. Let me know if you need to use it.
- Similarly, I decided to remove the $field parameter in all commands. You'll want to review all your plugins to rewrite the input parameters to skip $field and make sure any calls to a command do not take a second parameter. I wanted to get rid of the $value parameter and just use $args like we do in our conditions and functions, but that would be a bit involved. Maybe for another time.
- New query function defaults to current page if no page specified. Small detail. :)
- Completely reworked the start.php utility to make it even easier to use. Now there is a default init.txt file with settings and the index.script. Can create a custom myinit.txt file however you want and start.php will use your settings and code instead. Great if all your fields are similar. By default, encryption is now off, superadmin is "admin", and cleanurls are on. I also disabled the root forwarder as that is not needed for addon domains. A big plus for me, is I can store my own system password and init file outside the main BoltWire directory which makes zipping up BoltWire for new releases much easier.
- Replace the existing default skin with one very similar to the BoltWire site. Also, tweaked and updated the mobile and print skins. This is only the first of several steps involving the skins. In a future release I plan to rework how skins are edited and constructed to make several things easier. Just wanted some better skins to start with.